THE BMI’S ROLE IN 21st CENTURY BALLARAT
- Ongoing employment of a curator to optimise preservation, visitor accessibility and promotion of the Max Harris collection of historic photos
- Acquisition, curation and display of moving images of Ballarat from private movie collections and the first 60 years of local television history
- Exploiting the interest and value in the BMI’s unique holdings of every print copy of Ballarat’s newspapers – Times and Star from 1850s/60s, Courier from 1867 to present
- Restoration of the basement vaults to make them safe for public visitation. This unique, under-old-Ballarat space is a major visitor attraction unavailable for public access in its present condition.
INVITING YOUR PHILANTHROPY:
Recording Your Name in Ballarat’s Annals
The BMI would welcome attachment of your name to the achievement in whole or significant part of any of the projects cited. The list is not exhaustive; the multi-faceted BMI may well be the appropriate venue for another Ballarat cultural heritage or community development project you have in mind.
We would be happy to discuss any ideas with you. Your name and your family’s name are part of the story of Ballarat. The name is known for the business or industry you developed, the employment you created or the professional services you provided over many years in Ballarat.
A Major Benefactors’ Honour Board, prominently displayed in the BMI, will record benefactions in four categories of $1000 and over of people in their lifetime or through bequests. These names will forever be part of the annals of our city.
To make a donation to the BMI Foundation, please use the Donation Form. Donations may be made in full at the one time or in instalments across a number of years.
The BMI Foundation is a charity registered with the Australian Charities & Not-for-profits Commission.
Gifts of $2 or more are tax deductible. They will be paid into the Foundation account and receipts issued. Disbursements from this account must be approved by the Trustees. If you would like to discuss your donation and uses to which it might be put, you are invited to contact one of the listed Trustees via the BMI contact details shown.
BMI FOUNDATION TRUSTEES:
Michael Morrow, Solicitor
Graham Gooding*, Mining engineer (ret)
Dr Frank Hurley* OAM, BMI Patron
Andrew Oliver, Mng. Dir (ret) Oliver & Stevens P/L
David Haymes, Mng. Dir (ret) Haymes Paint P/L
* Denotes past President of the BMI
Ballaarat Mechanics’ Institute Foundation
(ABN 12 175 281 492)
Postal address: 117 Sturt St, Ballarat, Vic. 3350
Tel: (03) 5331 3042