The Institute was established in 1859 in the top floor of the Ballarat Fire Brigade in Barkly Street. On the 28th September, 1860 a foundation stone was laid at the rear of the present building.
According to the Ballarat Star a crowd of 10,000 people attended the ceremony. By 1869 the Institute consisted of four floors, shops on the ground floor, a grand entrance with a library on the second floor and a museum on the top floor.
<Enlivening our Present by
Illuminating our Past>
He arrived in Melbourne on 19/9/53 on the Star of the East and was in Ballarat by 1854, because of the conditions he saw he formed the Reform League to advocate for better conditions and treatment of the diggers by Government Officials. Elected unopposed as an M.L.C. in 1855 and was elected as an M.L.A. in 1856 for North Grant.
Was elected as President of the Committee of Management of the Mechanics Institute in May of 1859 when the reading room was established at the Ballarat Fire Brigade in Barkly Street. His term of office was interrupted by his Parliamentary duties so was succeeded by Andrew Anderson in 1860.VIEW MORE