The Hugh Williamson Foyer
This room (1869) is on the Mezzanine level immediately below the Humffray Room. It has lift access and holds up to 30 people seated theatre style, up to 60 standing. It is suitable for meetings, training, small celebrations and classes. It is serviced by our preparation kitchen, has projection capability, Wi-Fi access and a whiteboard upon request.
Terms Conditions of Hire and Room Hire Rates
See all important documents here.
To view room availability see the bookings calendar.
Who was Mr Williamson?
Hugh Williamson (1901-1985) was a banker and philanthropist, born on 4 February 1901 in Ballarat. He was educated in Ballarat at Dana Street State School and Ballarat Agricultural High School. As a qualified accountant he was posted to rural Victoria where he made his mark with a bright personality and quick wit. His constant travelling around Australia and New Zealand, raising morale by encouraging and mentoring staff at all levels, paid dividends. As an active president (1955-61) of the Bankers’ Institute of Australasia he encouraged bankers to build their knowledge through further study. By the time he retired in 1961, the year he was appointed CBE, he had laid much of the groundwork for the ANZ Bank’s strong performance over subsequent decades.
In retirement Williamson enjoy an active life, serving on boards and giving generous support to a range of causes including the Salvation Army, the National Gallery of Victoria, the Ballarat Fine Art Gallery, and the Royal Melbourne and Freemasons hospitals. He was a trustee of the William Buckland Foundation, an enterprise that became a model for his own philanthropic legacy. On his death the terms of his Will established the Hugh DT Williamson Foundation, which began operation in 1986 with a capital base of more than $4million. The BMI has been a grateful recipient of his Foundation’s philanthropy.