Tours of the Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute
The Ballaarat Mechanics’ Institute (BMI) is Ballarat’s independently run cultural hub, established 1859, and home to stunning heritage architecture and cultural treasures.
Hear about the colourful history of the institute and its people, from J.B. Humffray (fresh from Eureka) to the grand Minerva space and its history as a cinema. Explore the Max Harris Photography and heritage book collections, and get special local tips on the best things to see, do, and taste in town.
- Tuesdays | Tours commence and 2pm and finish 3.30pm | bookings essential
- Group Tours | Can be organised for your group | bookings essential
$10 per person (including GST) includes refreshments
- Some tours may be restricted due to event space bookings.
- Tours are conducted by BMI Volunteers and may not be able to be accommodated at short notice.
The BMI is a not for profit organisation. All funds raised support BMI services such as.
- Our library
- Our collection
- Our research facilities
- Arts & Cultural Activities
Ballarat’s Oldest Cultural Institution