I am pleased to report to members that after three years of tireless review by the current and previous Board, that a Special General meeting of members on the 28th June 2021 passed amendments to the BMI Constitution and introduced Bylaws that will equip the organisation to meet the challenges of a modern Board. There was a vigorous debate in relation to historical objectives and these will be given respectful consideration in the ‘Mission Statement’.
In summary the changes are;
- The size of the Board has been reduced from 12 to 9 members
- To ensure generational renewal of the Board a limit of 6 years service applies to all Board members
- Provision is made for a 1 year term extension of Board membership in addition to the 6 years service if requested by the member and approved by the Board.
- The wording relating to the timing of the AGM each year has been amended to be consistent with ACNC guidelines. ( the AGM will be held within 5 months of the end of the BMI accounting year which runs to the end of April each year).
- Each year the members will elect the Board and the Board will elect the Chair and Deputy Chair, for the coming 12 months.
As the changes to the Articles of Association and By-Laws came into effect immediately , four Board members had exceeded the maximum number of years service and must retire.
I would like to thank members of the current and past Board for their many hours of work over the past 3 years in reviewing and updating the legal documents required to run the organisation on behalf of the members.
Mike Stephens | President
Ballaarat Mechanics’ Institute