Some recently donated images to the Max Harris collection tell the sweet story of a much-loved candy store on Sturt St.
with Amy Tsilemanis
We recently had some great images donated to the Max Harris Photography Collection by Marilyn Stewart. Marilyn’s father was Jack Conder, owner of the well known Sturt St candy store ‘Conder’s.’ Jack started the business in 1941 when he was only 25, and ran it into the mid 1980s with his wife Joyce at the counter beside him.
Marilyn remembers the delicious banana spilts that would come with three scoops of icecream and plentiful whipped cream and toppings like syrups and nuts, with wafers to complete the dish. Conder’s was a popular meeting place to visit before and after the dances and movies, and would often be filled with people.
Along with candy and chocolates, the store also sold sandwiches, pies and pasties, cigarettes, papers, & bread from the bakery on weekend.
Jack also had the first Espresso coffee machine in Ballarat! He was always up with the latest trends in the shop but also with cars. Marilyn recalls his love of American cars, with the big fins, and he had many over the years. It would have been a familiar sight seeing him drive down Sturt St with his chevrolet or latest stylish model.
Do you have historic images of Ballarat and a story to share? Come in and chat to us. We are continuing the work of cataloguing the Max Harris photographs and working on exhibition projects to share these great images. In November people will be able to enjoy images from Ballarat’s 1938 Centenary Floral Festival in the lending library. There will also be plenty of goodies to pick up for gifts in time for Christmas.